What is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is also known as Burnout ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis).
You feel so rotten generally that even if there was cheque for $1,000,000 on the path outside with your name on it you would not have the energy to physically go outside and pick it up, let alone bank it!
Dawn Symons. Author “It’s All About ME”
Who gets Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
Chronic Fatigue syndrome can affect anyone who finds themselves, long term, in physically/ emotionally demanding situations. It is a mixture of personal (or professional) exhaustion; it is a result of disillusionment with other people, the organisation which you work for or your career, over the long term. Sadly, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Burnout, ME) can also spill over into your personal life, negatively impacting your well-being as well as your relationships with friends and family. CSF/ ME occur (frequently) following a nasty (or repeated) bout of a flu-like virus.
What Causes Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Burnout, ME)?
No-one (at the time of writing this) truly knows exactly what causes Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, (ME, Burnout). I believe there are several ‘combinations’ of ‘basic’ physical AND emotional (life) factors which trigger Burnout.
Physical factors include:
- A virus or other infection
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Central nervous system and hormone abnormalities
- Genetic Factors
- Immune system abnormalities
- Exposure to toxins
People experience Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for a variety of reasons:
- A lack of recognition for your work.
- A lack of time and control over your personal (or work) life.
- An excessive work load.
- Backlog of uncompleted tasks (at home or work).
- Financial worries: love the job but there’s not enough money.
- Having little or no support from your partner, family, manager or organisation.
- Having unclear goals or job expectations.
- High prolonged ‘extreme Stress’ levels often a blend of personal stress, physical illness/ pain, emotional turbulence, physical pressure.
- Relationship difficulties.
- Tedious or boring work.
- The need to earn more money
- Working alone, freelance, self-employed.
- Working in a dysfunctional team or organisation.
Please consider for a moment, how does stress/burnout affect you:
- At home?
- In your job?
- In your body?
Other symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME):
- Blaming others for your mistakes.
- Blaming others for causing you to feel as you do.
- Considering resignation or changing roles (relationships to jobs) which you normally enjoy.
- Distancing yourself emotionally from your colleagues, family members or clients.
- Dreading going to work and wanting to leave once you’ve arrived.
- Excessive amounts of coffee, sugar and salt.
- Experiencing physical symptoms such as insomnia, headaches, frequent flu-like viruses, achy muscles.
- Feeling empty with little or no energy.
- Feeling overwhelm.
- Feeling that your life/work is meaningless, and that your contribution goes unrecognised.
- Having a negative, judgmental attitude at work.
- Irregular sleeping patterns, insomnia.
- Feeling irritable with loved ones, friends, colleagues, peers or clients.
- Regular or increasing absenteeism from work or regular leisure activities.
Whether we work to provide for our family or for ourselves, the drive, the motivation/passion is the same. Burnout affects highly driven, passionate people. Once family, peace and security are compromised, then ‘fix it, make it work’ types of thoughts and actions go into overdrive.
How does Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Burnout affect you – longer term?
Clearly, the consequences of career burnout can be severe. The likelihood is that it will have a ‘dramatic’ impact on the quality of every relationship you have, especially with personal/ family/ loved-ones. At work your productivity can drop dramatically, not only impacting your career, but affecting your organisation negatively, as well.
Can YOU recover from Burnout?
Yes! You can get your energy back, live life to the full and be happy again. I did, and if I did so can you! Find out ‘How to recover from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome’ below…
Learn more about how stress impacts your body; creates fatigue and tips you physically and emotionally into burnout. Learn how to recover.
My book, It’s All About ME’ is particularly useful if you are a stressed out, desk-based city worker who sits at a computer for longer than 6 hours a day.
‘It’s All About ME’ includes self-realignment exercises and self-massage exercises, ideal for; general tension, as well as specifics such as; wrist tendonitis, RSI’s, jaw tension, jaw pain, headaches, migraines and back pain.